Sunday 5 May 2013

Day 1 & 2: May 3 & 4

Challenge: the story must involve a stained glass window.

My village of Atel'e is a village of generations. Only four families live here; the Van doren's, the Lauritsen's, the Tronick's, and my family, the Schodek's. Our village is situated in a small valley between the two most northern mountains in the Th'quaia Mountains.

One hundred years ago—at the start of the Great War between our country, Ryn'ver, and our neighbour to the south, Tan'on—our ancestors headed north out of Ad'rilu, the capital. They settled here, and built a home hidden in the mountains. The village worked together back then, but now, everyone is at each others throats.

***
The front door to our farmhouse slams, signaling Father has returned from speaking with Asher Lauritsen, the pastor at the church. Lately it seems like the Lauritsen's have been trying to drive us out of Atel'e. I think it's my fault.

"Melita!" Father yells and I hop up from my spot on the window seat in my room and run down the hallway to look over the banister.

"Father?" I try to smile but it feels strained.

Father looks up and smiles, but his too looks strained. "It's true, isn't it?"

I bite my lip. "Perhaps?" I flinch when he scowls.

"You're doing more than studying with Glori," he states.

"Father," I start.

"No, Melita!" He shouts and starts up the stairs. I'm surprised Aunt Nanete isn't running out to see the commotion. "If you two continue to use magic, you'll alert our position to other magic users in the area."

I roll my eyes as he grabs my shoulders. "Father, our ancestors put a strong protection spell around our village and it still stands. Only those who seek refuge can find our village."

A horn echoes into the house and the grips on my shoulders tighten.

"You better be right, Melita," he says. "Grab your sword," he pushes me towards my room. "Nanete! Boys! Grab your swords," he yells as I run to my room.

I grab my sword that's propped against my bed and unsheathe it. I almost run into Aron as I leave and he grins at me, his gold eyes shining. 

"Ready sis?" He asks as he slings an arm over my shoulder and leads me down the hallway. 

He stands a good head taller than me and I poke his ribs. "You look out of shape, brother," I say.

My other brother, Tynan, laughs from behind us and his arm slings over top of Aron's across my shoulders. "You're not much better, Melita."

I laugh and pull away from them as we leave the house. 

*This is where I stopped on May 3, since I'm only writing for about an hour each day.*
May 4 is a continuation from above.

The late afternoon sun reflects off the stained glass portrait of Iwara that's displayed on our front door and into my eyes. The entire village is just ahead near the tavern. Two strange men stand before them with their hands up.

Aron rushes pass me and I'm sure there is a childlike grin on his face; he's always been eager to learn about the world outside of our village.

Tynan and I stop beside Aron. Father and Asher are at the head of our "pack". 

"State your business," Asher says. 

The taller man on the left with shaggy, cherry hair takes a step forward only to raise his hands higher when Father and Asher raise their swords. "We heard rumors of a village within these mountains and we merely came to see if those rumors were true."

I can taste the lie bleeding out of his pores and I can't help but snort. I hear Glori do the same a few feet away. 

Asher glances over his shoulder at me with narrowed eyes. 

"It seems you are lying," Father says.

The man on the right is staring at Glori, his amethyst eyes dragging down her body. I narrow my own violet ones at him.

"You seem to have two powerful mages in your midst," cherry-top says.

"And you must be one yourself to be able to detect their powers," Asher says.

Cherry-top scoffs. "Even an amateur could detect their powers."

I laugh. "You're either ignorant or stupid," I say.

"What?"

I gesture around me, "What else can you sense?"

Amethyst-eyes looks at me next and a smile takes over his lips.

"What are you speaking of?" Cherry-top asks.

"In order to sense us, you would need to sense the hundred year-old enchantment that surrounds this town and the spells our mages have cast upon themselves," I explain and notice amethyst-eyes nodding.

"Uh, yes, of course I do," cherry-top stammers.

*I'm sure I'll continue this someday, but that's all for now.*

No comments:

Post a Comment