Sunday 12 May 2013

Day 8, 9, & 10: May 10, 11, & 12

Challenge: the story must have a bracelet in it.

I stare at him from across the cafeteria. His blond hair looks like it's reflecting the sunlight, and I feel like I'm quoting a romance novel in my head.

"You're staring again, Rosalyn," my best friend, Oberon, says and takes a bite of his giant roast beef sandwich. I'm surprised he can fit it in his mouth.

I laugh. "No I'm not."

Oberon rolls his eyes. "I don't know what you see in him, anyway." Another bite. "He leads on every girl in the school, leaving fights in his wake."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "You do know he doesn't even know I exist."

"Which is why this fascination you have with him is ridiculous." Another bite and the sandwich is half gone.

"I'm not fascinated by Roy," I say.

"Obsessed, whatever," Oberon says before I can continue.

I narrow my eyes. "No, I was just trying to figure out why every girl here thinks he's amazing."

Oberon gives me a look. "Keep trying to convince me; I'm sure it'll happen."

I sigh and place my elbows on the table, leaning my head in my hands. I look down at my paper bag lunch and wrinkle my nose. I'm sure I'll be giving the remainder of my meager lunch to Oberon.

"Keep eating," he says. "You've barely touched your lunch and you already eat less than a bird."

I wrinkle my nose again.

"Rosalyn."

*This is where I stopped on May 10. May 11 follows.*

I glance at him from the corner of my eyes, watching a strand of his black hair stray close to his mouth. It doesn't follow the remainder of his sandwich into the dark cavern of his mouth, surprisingly, but it does get caught on his lips as he chews.

Oberon reaches across and picks up my half eaten granola bar, waving it in my face.

I smack his hand away. "I'm not hungry anymore."

"Rosalyn."

I turn my gaze to the brown paper bag on its side in front of me. I scowl at it.

"This is not healthy," Oberon says.

I sigh and bring my right wrist to my neck, scratching it with my silver medic alert bracelet.

"Just finish the granola bar and I'll eat the rest," he says quietly.

His hand is still holding the bar out to me even though he's looking off to the side. I follow the direction he's facing to see my step-sister, Morena, sitting in her pink-top glory surrounded by her friends.

I take the bar from his hands causing him to face me. He smiles when I take a bite.

"I only want you to be healthy, Rosie," he says and grabs the bag, pulling out the apple.

I smile back. "I'm trying."

Oberon nods and turns back to watch Morena.

*This is where I stopped on May 11. May 12 follows.*

I finish off the granola bar before I sneak another glance at Roy. He's now lip-locked with Anallise, the captain of the girls basketball team. Of course the two captains would be dating; it's what's expected in high school.

I sigh and turn to Oberon who has the apple pressed against his lips. I look to Morena and snort. She's applying her lip gloss meticulously, putting on a show for the males that constantly surround her. I'm not sure why; she's not exactly "attractive" or nice. Though I might be a bit biased; she's always a bitch to my father.

I slap Oberon on the shoulder. He jumps and turns to me. I laugh. "You're drooling."

He quickly presses his hand to his mouth to wipe it away.

"Why don't you go talk to her? You actually have a shot," I say.

"You know damn well she won't consider me; we're friends," he gestures between us. "It's common knowledge that she hates you."

I bite my lip.

"Besides," he continues as if he doesn't realize how much that statement hurt. "She's too much of a bitch."

I laugh.

Oberon grins. "You're stuck with me, I'm afraid."

I sigh. "Damn."

He pushes my shoulder and I laugh again. He holds out the apple to me.

"I'm not-"

"Eat half of it," he says.

I take the apple and bite into it.

"We'll get through this like we do everything else," he says. "By my pestering you until you cave."

I smile at him and take another bite. That's one way of saying "together".

*I'll try and get back to my routine of one a day!*

No comments:

Post a Comment