Thursday 9 May 2013

Day 6 & 7: May 8 & 9

Here are the last two days. They are both a continuation of Day 5's challenge.

I can feel Mother's glare on my face. "I still remember when Aunt Lorrayne first showed it to me. I was 14. You know the age where you need to be "in" with the popular group?" I can see some people nod and I wonder if they've forgotten, just for this moment, where we are. "I'm pretty sure my face was shocked; maybe even disgusted. But when she explained why she made it, I remember smiling and promising her I would wear it. Today is the first day I've broken a promise to either of my aunts."

Mother shifts uncomfortably. I smile at her. "But I guess it is a funeral, so I should follow tradition and wear black." I scoff. "Tradition. The only tradition in our family is Thursday night dinners." I shake my head. "Why is it important to uphold this tradition and go against the wishes of my aunt?"

I scan the faces and out of the corner of my eye I see the Minister cross his arms over his chest. The crowd looks confused as if they don't understand why I'm saying these things.

Mother starts to stand.

"I guess the last wishes of a beloved family member mean nothing when faced with society's norm." I scoff again. "The way other people view us is apparently more important than my aunt's last wishes."

Mother is standing and walking up to me.

"I had wanted this day to be about Aunt Lorrayne; she's the one that died, not us."

*This is where I stopped on May 8. What follows is from today, May 9.*

I take a deep breath and look Mother in the eye as she continues towards me. "Sometimes you have to accept that what you want to do isn't what you should do."

Mother grips my arm and pushes me away from the microphone. Her grip tightens as she giggles. "Sorry, everyone. Jenica hasn't had her medication yet."

I narrow my eyes. But really, what was I expecting?

I shake off her grip and storm down the aisle between the bleachers.

"Jenica, you need to pay your respects," Mother's voice is sharp and grating in my ears.

"I did, bitch," I say and push open the doors to the room, striding down the floral wallpapered hall. The doors bang shut behind me and I don't think I've ever heard such a wonderful sound before.

As I pass the workers, I feel as if they're whispering behind my backs like they're appalled that I would storm out.

I roll my eyes at myself as I push the front doors open and step into the afternoon sun.

Again with the dramatics, Aunt Lorrayne used to say.

I laugh and start the walk home. That was the last thing on my "to do list before I leave": speak my mind to Mother. It wasn't the way I pictured it going but it'll do. After all, it's not like I'll be seeing her again.

*The first challenge I've finished! Hopefully I can add more to that list soon.*

1 comment:

  1. I like this Taralyn. You connected with my emotions. I'd like to see this story continuing.

    ReplyDelete