Thursday 16 April 2015

A-Z Challenge. Day fourteen.

The form of this poem is the Sestina. One of my favourites and I thought I'd try my hand at it again. Hope you enjoy day 14 :)

N is for Night

Shadows cling to the sidewalk,
houses around me are dark.
I stumble along, grasping at the light
provided by the street lamps, glowing
golden. Guiding, the full moon
creates a path for me home.

It feels like ages since I left for home,
my heels click along the sidewalk,
I turn my face to the moon,
trying to ignore the dark
demons around me, eyes glowing
giving off an unnatural light.

Turning down a street, a light
breeze blows my hair and I can see home.
A beacon at the end of the street, glowing;
flowers growing over the edge of the sidewalk.
Dog barks, silhouette a dark
smudge against the fence lit by the moon.

A deep breath of air, the moon
guides me with its light
passed the houses clawing from the dark
to keep me from home.
I quicken my steps, jumping over sidewalk
cracks, aiming for my glowing

goal at the end of the street with glowing
fairies sitting beneath the moon,
legs dangling over the sidewalk.
I pause in the light
certain I heard a sound from the home
of my neighbours, the windows dark,

the Mazda absent. Stretching from the dark,
shadows start to tear into the glowing
gold, and I just want to be home.
A quick peek at the moon,
I take strength from its light,
to guide me over the last bit of sidewalk.

I pass the last dark house, using the moon
and the glowing gold of the light
posts to reach home. One last step and I'm off the sidewalk.

1 comment: