Wednesday 15 April 2015

A-Z Challenge. Day thirteen.

Here it is, day 13!

M is for Music.

I sit with my back against the trunk, up on a branch a few feet from the ground and hidden from view of the house across the street. Her voice gently caresses my ears from the open window on the second floor. Every Thursday is the same; I come here to sit and listen to her sing. On Tuesday it's the violin. She knows I'm here, says she sings for me.

I lean my head against the bark, smiling, as I hear her instructor praising her. At least, that's what I think he's saying. I can't make out his words but she deserves all the praise in the world.

It feels a lot sooner than usual when I hear the front door open and the telltale sign of a mustang starting up before it drives away. I look down at my watch; the lesson ended ten minutes early.

I shift slightly and look towards the house between the leaves. Her window is still open and it looks like her mother is in there yelling at her judging by the gestures of her arms. I furrow my brow. What happened?

I hear a truck pull into the street and look over to see her step-father's truck driving up the road to their place. What is he doing home so early?

He parks on the driveway, not bothering to go into the garage, and gets out with a slam of the door behind him. He looks pissed. I bite my lip as I watch him storm into the house and soon I see him in her room. Only he's yelling at her mom. I tilt my head. He looks to be standing in front of her as if protecting her from her mother. Her mom is yelling back at him and I want to go in and make sure she's okay. But I know if I do that it'll just make things worse.

The mother leaves with a huff and it's then I notice she's crying. Her step-father grabs her in a hug, cradling her against his chest.

The front door slams and I look down to see her mother storming out of the house, hands clutching a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. She pulls one out and lights up. She starts pacing then and I look back up to her room. Her step-father is wiping away her tears and she smiles at him, saying something that gets him to laugh. He leaves after and she turns to the window, giving me a smile and a thumbs up. I'm not quite sure I understand yet.

The front door closes again and I look down to see her step-father ask her mom a question. Her mom interrupts, throwing the still lit cigarette at him before pulling off her wedding ring and doing the same. Her step-father remains calm through this and it's then I clue in. She had said something earlier today at school about telling her mother about us and that we were more than just friends. Her step-father has known for a few months now, and he accepts us, loves her as his own more than her own mother.

I watch as her mother gestures to the house and her step-father laughs. He looks happier today than I've seen him in a while. I watch his lips clearly state that the only thing that's hers is the Mazda in the garage. She is legally his by adoption, not that her mother wants anything to do with her anyway it seems like, and the house has always been in his name. Her mother huffs, enters the house only to go to the garage and speed out in her little yellow Mazda, tearing down the street.

I jump down from my perch and cross the street.

"Hi Mr. Sobeck," I say.

"Hello Raven," he says sounding tired. "Melody's up in her room."

I nod and head passed him, opening the door and toeing off my shoes. I climb the steps, lightly brushing my hand against the rail. I open her door to see her sitting at her desk hunched over a book, eyes devouring the page.

She looks up and grins. "Raven," she says standing. She walks up to me and brushes a hand down my cheek. "How was I today?"

I laugh. "Perfect, as always."

She grins. "It's a lovely day today isn't it?"

I step closer, bringing my hand up to curl around her hip bone. "It is. Though your step-father doesn't seem too happy."

"He'll be fine," she says and cups the back of my neck. "He'll find someone actually worth his time and the woman that gave birth to me will be gone from our lives." She wraps her hand in my long, black hair. "But enough about that." She pulls on my head so our lips are a hair's breath away. "Let's focus on us and the night that lies ahead of us."

I grin before my lips are taken by hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment