Thursday 30 April 2015

A-Z Challenge. Day twenty-five.

Meant to get this out last night but time got away from me so here it is! I'll post Z later today :)

Y is for You're Welcome to Join.

“Go fish.”
“You have got to be cheating.”
“You can’t cheat in Go Fish.”
“I beg to differ. You clearly have the tricks needed to cheat in this fine game.”
“Fine game? Good Lord you sound like you’re from the fourteenth century.”
“Oh my dear Jade, how little faith ye have in me.”
I burst out laughing, pressing my cards to my chest so two of my roommates can’t peak; I wouldn’t put it passed them.
“Your turn, Evan.”
“Ah, yes. Brody, have any sixes?”
“Go fish.”
“Now he must be cheating.”
“You can’t cheat in this game.” Brody says with a grin that looks anything but innocent.
“Your face says differently.”
Brody sighs dramatically and picks up his beer, taking a sip.
“No dates tonight? We’re all lonely on this Friday night?” Evan says taking a handful of cheetos and stuffing them all into his mouth. Sometimes I wonder why we agreed to let him stay; then he walks around in a towel and I remember.
“Karri still won’t answer my texts; Craig’s a dick-wad that can burn in hell along with his new girlfriend, Tabitha.”
“Ouch,” Evan winces. “Don’t worry, Jay, I’m here for you.”
I smile brightly at him. “I know. Just keep walking around in a towel and I’ll feel better in no time.”
The two guys start laughing and I just wag my eyebrows at them.
“You too, Brody. You are both improving my mood every day.”
Evan leans over and rests his hand on my shoulder, smiling at me. I smile back and pat his hand before he takes it away. “Your turn, Jay.”
“Right,” I look down at my hand and tilt my head. I look over the cards and eye the two guys with narrowed eyes. “Evan, got any kings?”
He groans and pulls one out, slapping it onto the table in front of me. I cheer and pull out my king, making the pair and adding it to my pile.
“Alright, Brody this time. Got any tens?”
He too groans and I grin, making another pair.
“My last card. Evan, got an eights?”
“Go fish.”
“Damn it!” I pout and grab a card from the draw pile in the middle of the table.
The front door slams shut and we all jump, turning to look at the hallway. Ruby comes into view with Derek and they stop at the entrance, staring at us with eyebrows raised.
“Are you all staying home tonight?” Ruby asks in a voice filled with disbelief.
“Craig dumped me,” I say as if that explains it all.
“Kristine hates my guts,” Evan says.
“Shane is visiting his parents in Edmonton,” Brody says.
“Oh. So, you’re going to stay here all night?”
“If you’ll be here, then I’m heading down to Dixon’s.” I say shuddering slightly in my seat.
“We were going to.”
“What’s wrong with Derek’s place?” Evan asks.
“His roommates kicked him out.”
“Like completely so he’s looking for a new place?” Brody asks dread filling his voice.
“Yeah, so he’s moving in with us.”
Ruby’s smiling at all of us while we’re staring at her with total shock. Wow; she just assumed that’d be okay with us.
“No.”
“Jadey, why not?”
“I’ve had to listen to you guys go at it every weekend since we got this place! I refuse to listen to you guys every day!”
“We won’t be doing it every day.”
I snort and soon the other two with me start to laugh as well.
Ruby scowls and places her hands on her hips. “We won’t!”
I rub my eyes and look into her face. “No, you will.”
“Won’t!”
“I refuse to get into this argument; I’m too drunk as it is.”
“We’ll give you a week,” Brody starts. “If you guys can’t keep it down, since finals are coming up, we’re kicking you both out.”
Ruby gasps eyes wide and unbelieving. Evan and I nod along with Brody.
“That seems fair,” Derek says.
“Then welcome! You guys want to join?” I ask, gesturing vaguely to the table.
“Nah, all my stuff is in my car and I need to get it in here.”
“You can do that tomorrow. It won’t be going anywhere, just pull up a seat and grab a beer!” Evan says as he grabs another from the cooler at his feet. The fridge gets too far away once you’ve had a few.
Derek looks to Ruby and she just shrugs, turning and heading up the stairs. “Sure, I’ll join you.” Derek walks into the kitchen and takes the seat across from me.
“Derek!”
“What? I haven’t really met your other two roommates, just your sister. It’ll be a good bonding night.”
Evan laughs and slides the beer he had just grabbed to Derek before grabbing a new one. “Welcome to the game, bro.”
I hear Ruby huff in the background and stomp up the stairs, but at the moment, I don’t really care. I haven’t felt this good in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment