Friday 24 April 2015

A-Z Challenge. Day twenty-one.

I had one line for this story in my head forever; it's nice to finally add more to it. Hope you enjoy day twenty-one!

U is for Underground.

The surface-dwellers call it The Underground. I call it home.

The Unicorn's Mane is as dark as it usually is, smog and sewage from above stinking the place we call home. Mud covers the streets, old brick buildings barely stand, lights barely work. The sun doesn't reach our ground, our skin. We're pale, the under-goers, but we're strong. We've survived every ball the surface-dwellers have thrown our way. The bar isn't as crowded as usual, many from our faction are out on a job, getting money from the leaches above. But Lyra still brings rounds, still smiles, still flirts with me, rolls her eyes at Zane.

"You don't see people in suits often," my brother, Zane, says.

I look up from loading my gun, raising an eyebrow at the man entering the bar wearing a suit and tie. "You know him?"

Zane shakes his head beside me as the man turns and heads in our direction. "What did you do, Constance?"

I smile at the man, ignoring my brother, once he stops in front of our table.

"You're Constance Lamki?"

"And who are you?" I ask.

"Roi Stadelman," he says. "I'm here on behalf of Gyrotronics."

My eyebrows shoot up beneath my bangs.

"We've seen your work," he continues and I can feel my brother staring at me, asking how do these surface-dwellers know of me. "We want you to come work with us."

"You do realize what I do, yes?"

He grins, quick and sharp. "Of course."

"Can I get you a drink, sir?" Lyra asks as she sidles up beside me.

Roi looks around then, notices the attention focused on him. He smiles and takes a seat in an empty chair at our table and nods at Lyra. "Whatever you recommend."

She smiles brightly then and walks away. She's a sucker for those that ask what she likes best.

"I'm not quite sure I understand how I could be of assistance," I say once Lyra's at the bar making her favourite drink.

"You seem to understand the network much better than any of our tech guys; it takes them days just to figure out you've been there, let alone what you've done," he stops as Lyra places a tall, dark drink in front of him. He thanks her and takes a sip, smiling at the dark rum floating across his tongue. I was the one that had introduced Lyra to this rum; she fell in love instantly. "We'd like you to work with us, create things the others never even thought of. I and my superiors know you're more than capable. We'd like you to give us your support."

I bite the inside of my lip, watching as he takes another sip. "I want to get power working down here again."

He nods. "Doable."

I raise an eyebrow. "Are you sure you're listening? Our home is huge. This area you stepped into, this is just our faction. There are ten other factions down here."

He grins. "And if you get power to them under Gyrotronics name, do you think they'd support us?"

I blink before a laugh bursts forth and I turn to my brother who is grinning at the man.

"I like how you think," Zane says. "Constance has been waiting for one of the companies to get the balls to talk to her; we're glad it's you."

Roi nods. "I came as soon as I found what faction you were in. It took our guys a little longer than I thought."

I grin. "When shall we start?"

No comments:

Post a Comment